Thursday, March 12, 2009

His awesome power

I remember as a child of about four the weather changing fast. It was
a typical hot, muggy day, and suddenly something was different. I
don't remember seeing the changing clouds, or hearing a warning on the
radio. I do remember a sense of urgency, a fear that was palpable, and
the noise. As we sat in the basement next to the old wood stove, I
remember the unearthly roar, something that sounded so unmeasurably
big, in contrast we were all incredibly small.
I don't remember the path the tornado carved through our bush a few
hundred yards from the house and have only vague recollections of
seeing half our cattle shed missing... the shed located right behind
our small pig barn.
But I will never forget how small and powerless I felt that day.
Psalm 29 talks about the power of God beginning in vs 3 "The voice of
the Lord echoes above the mighty sea." It goes on to say the voice of
the the Lord splits the mighty cedars of Lebanon, makes the mountains
skip like a calf or leap like a young bull (depending which mountain).
It strikes with lightning bolts, makes the desert shake, twists the
mighty Oaks, and strips the oceans bare. These comparisons make a
Manitoba tornado look like a dust devil.
But unlike a tornado, I feel safe and secure in the knowledge that my
God wields such power. That's why we should honour and praise God. Vs.
2 "...Worship the Lord in the splendor of his holiness." But what
jumped out at me is the last verse of this psalm.
Vs. 11 in the NLT says "The Lord gives his people strength. The Lord
blesses them with peace."
What an amazing gift! For anyone who like me, sometimes struggles
with the reality and immensity of God's love, this Psalm means a lot.
Despite his power, his amazing awe inspiring power, God cares about
and loves each one of us.
Thank you God for giving me strength, for giving me peace!
Submitted by Greg Vandermeulen

0 comments:

 
Hands on Seeds Blog Copyright © 2009 Blogger Template Designed by Bie Blogger Template