Friday, October 10, 2008

you are chosen




Ephesians 1:5-6

Long before he [God] laid down earth's foundations, he had us in mind, had settled on us as the focus of his love, to be made whole and holy by his love. Long, long ago he decided to adopt us into his family through Jesus Christ. (What pleasure he took in planning this!) He wanted us to enter into the celebration of his lavish gift-giving by the hand of his beloved Son.

When I was in elementary and junior high school, I hated the “schoolyard pick” method of choosing teams in gym. In the first place, I didn’t even want to play the game – I was not an athlete, that was well known – but I could hardly stand the humiliation of being picked last. On the rare occasion, I would be chosen by what I thought of as a “pity-pick”, by someone who on some level knew how awful it feels to be picked last; but in a way that was almost worse.

As I read this passage from Ephesians this morning, I sensed Jesus saying to me that he picked me first. Before the foundations of the earth were laid, he had his mind set on me. This was no “pity pick”, this was purposeful. And as I settle into that thought, he continues to reveal to me my place and my identity in his family of adopted children. I am a part of a family that is diverse and unique, and worth celebrating. I am a part of a family where each one has been picked first.

Today I’m going forward with the words “you are chosen” in my heart.

Posted by Candice Letkeman

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well said! Bev

Anonymous said...

Love the analogy!
I know what you mean about the picking. I was routinely picked third last, in front of the chubby kid, and the kid with one artificial leg.
Ahhh, memories.
Greg

 
Hands on Seeds Blog Copyright © 2009 Blogger Template Designed by Bie Blogger Template