Wednesday, March 4, 2009

What's in a Name?

"What's in a name?" by jack dorsey.
 

Sing to the Lord, O you saints of His, and give thanks at the remembrance of His holy name.  Psalm 30:4

 

What does it mean to give thanks when I think about the Holy name of God?  I've often been confused by this sort of language.

 

Throughout the Bible there are so many different names for God.  To name a few:  Mighty Creator, The God Who Sees Me, The Lord Will Provide, The Lord is Peace.  In the Bible, names of people were often attached with their character and so it seems to be with God.

 

If I really think on the names of God, I come to know his character and who He is.  When I think about El Roi, Hebrew for The God Who Sees Me, if I really let that sink in I am humbled…He sees little ol' me!  When I fear that I do not have what it takes to complete an essay, Yahwey Yireh,  The Lord Will Provide, calls me to trust in his provisionary side, yes, He even cares about providing for little things like essays!

 

Knowing the names of God enables us to get a bigger picture of who He is.  To realize that He Sees Us, to remember that He Will Provide, and to know that He is our Shield leads us to a place of trust and gratitude.

 

Posted by Andrea Bergman.



 
 




Tell the whole story with photos, right from your Messenger window. Learn how!

2 comments:

The Cornelson's on March 5, 2009 at 11:54 AM said...

Well said Andrea!!

Anonymous said...

Great point. I think as a parent I have a new appreciation of God's love just by comparing my love to my kids to God's love for us. "My father in heaven" takes on new meaning.
Greg

 
Hands on Seeds Blog Copyright © 2009 Blogger Template Designed by Bie Blogger Template