Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Relieve and Correct

Scripture:  Proverbs 31:8-9

Cross-reference:  Isaiah 1:17a  "Learn to do right!  Seek justice, relieve the oppressed, and correct the oppressor."  (Amplified Version)

 

I started out reading this scripture and was about to write my entry when I my computer decided to stop working.  So, I ended up reading a book called, "Birdi Num Num" by Mamta Mishra to pass the time, which, of course tied right into today's scripture. Birdi Num Num is a poor and hungry bird who discovers a Num Num (Big Seed)  that is too large for him to bite into, thus, he begins a long journey of asking many different powers to help him break down his Big Seed.  He asks a local Grinder, the Majaraja (king), Fire, the Sea, an elephant, etc.  All these people held the power to help him but didn't bother to give him the time of day.

 

Finally, Birdi Num Num meets one of the lower castes in his society, mice!  He came across them doing a march for justice, holding up pictures of transforming persons such as Mother Teresa, Ghandi, Che, etc.  Their way of helping Birdi was to put pressure on the powers that be because they knew that within the power chain each power depended on some service, product, or person. They figured out what influenced who and started a pressure chain to hold each power accountable until finally Birdi was able to get the first person he asked, the Grinder (local help), to grind his Num Num in order to be nourished.  Brilliant!

 
"...relieve the oppressed and correct the oppressor.."  Isaiah 1:17

 
Questions we can ask Jesus:
  • who around me or abroad do you desire for me to relieve from oppression?
  • where am I in the power chain and what do I need to be held accountable to?
  • who can I put pressure on or correct in order to free those who are oppressed? 
 
These are HUGE questions and I am not ready to dive into all of them right now, but they are something we can started creating space for in our minds.

Posted by Andrea Bergman



0 comments:

 
Hands on Seeds Blog Copyright © 2009 Blogger Template Designed by Bie Blogger Template